Report Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004
Sign the statement for the Coalition Against the Single Equalities Commission and for 6 +1
“We are against being railroaded into something that we feel will not work for equalities groups ”
The government has been pushing through a new single equalities body (Commission for Equality and Human Rights) despite a lack of support from the Black and minority ethnic grassroots, from disabled people and other equalities groups. Without grassroots support a new body would lack legitimacy or be able to speak on behalf of those communities. We are against being railroaded into something that we feel will not work for equalities groups.
- We want 6 plus 1.
- Six equality commissions Keep existing Race, Gender and Disability commissions and add three new commissions for age, sexual orientation and faith)
- Plus one Human Rights Commission dedicated to working independently, with enforcement powers and which can drive a rights based culture for equalities in the UK
- We want a Single Equalities Act with proper powers of enforcement to protect all
- We want ringfenced levels of resources and expertise on all equalities issues and which must be guaranteed by all commissions.
- We want the majority of commissioners responsible for enforcing the legislation to be representatives from those groups. (We are concerned that the "task force" set up to look at this new proposal is not representative.)
- We want accountability to the communities most affected by these forms of discrimination. This must happen at a local level.
- Training, Education and Advice both legal and of a general nature must be available at local centres for all equality areas