Essential Rum Infused Drinks For The Holiday Season
With the holiday season, there seems to be no holding back. For those that managed to sell and move home before the end of 2016, spending a first Christmas in a new home will always be special. The House Shop is brimming with advice and inspiration for those in the midst of near completion before Christmas – there is still time!
As soon as Hallowe’en is done and dusted, the floodgates open with daily, megaphonic reminders that eight weeks isn’t enough time to get all the food, social planning, presents and decorations ticked off the holiday list. Despite the panic buying, it’s fast approaching, and the influx of guests pouring through mistletoe adorned doors of your home in the high spirited, exuberant run-up to Christmas can be super exciting, especially when you, as host/ess with the most, have already planned a few chest warming, indulgent festive surprises.
These simple rum-based cocktails provided by Urban Outfitters listed below are sure to help the merriment get underway and give that spot of indulgent, inner warmth to match the festive lights and decorations in your home.
Traditional Egg Nogg
Not Everyone’s cup of Christmas cheer, this is a mainstay – rich and strong – with a boozy festive tradition. Thick and frothy and full of spice, this is one of the more traditional drinks of the holidays. While recipes differ all over, if you’re simply wondering whether to use brandy or rum, the best solution is to probably use both!
.75 oz Brandy
.75 oz Rum (spiced)
.5 oz Sugar
3 oz Whole Milk or Heavy Cream
1 Whole Egg
- Mix your measure of rum, brandy, sugar, egg, and milk together…
- Fill the tin with ice and shake vigorously – like Santa himself depends on it.
- Strain into a glass or goblet and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
- Try a steamed milk version instead of shaking with ice for something a little warmer.
Hot Buttered Rum
Everyone’s favourite, familiar, food and drink happy-chappy, Jamie Oliver has a great ‘Hot Buttered Rum’ recipe. Here are the very basic ingredients to a delicious warm, Hot Buttered Rum concoction to add some real festive cheer to a magical, frost-freckled night with friends to while away the hours.
2 oz Rum
3 tsp Sugar
.5 tsp Allspice
.5 tsp Cloves
1 tbsp Butter
- By pre-warming a glass, add some sugar and about 1.5 oz of hot water.
- Take a spoon to thoroughly stir the sugar until it is well-dissolved.
- Add rum and spices before filling with hot water.
- Add butter and stir until butter is completely melted.
- Finish with a cinnamon stick and/or orange peel, depending on the flavour you’re looking for.
The wide arrays of golden and dark, sweet or spiced rums are a perfect addition to Christmas cocktails. Luxurious ambassadors of all things beverage-based, BG Reynold’s stunning range of syrups can provide an excellent gift for the cocktail enthusiast.